Thursday, February 17, 2011

Engagement party in Bethlehem

We have been invited to attend a Muslim Engagement party for the son of the man in the picture below. Sammy has been selling souvenirs in the lane leading to the garden tomb since 1969 when he was 8 years old. He is Muslim and has become a very good friend of the garden, always helping wherever he can. Apparently he has also chased away some young Palestinians that he knew were trouble! He sells these souvenirs from the back of his car, and is the typical guy trying to get you to buy his things...10 postcards for a dollar, camels $1.00, Jerusalem bags 4 for $10.00...anyone that has been here knows what I'm talking about! He does very well and the olive candle sticks that you see on top of his car are the same that we sell in the gift shop, but his are much less. Not that I'm trying to take business away from the garden, because I also know that the prices we have in the gift shop are much less than in many other gift shops!
Anyway, he is a very friendly man, and tonite (Friday) he is having an engagement party (an arranged marriage) for his son and we are invited. So 9 of us from the garden are attending. It is at a hotel in Bethlehem. No one really knows what to expect, other than we have been told that the men need to wear a suit and tie, and the women have to be dressed smartly. Don didn't bring a suit, but I guess he will be fine with a shirt and tie. We also know that the men and women won't be together and we don't know if that means we will be in seperate rooms or what. Anyway, we are very excited to be included in such a celebration.
He also sells old coins - shekels- so I asked him how much these coins would cost for me to buy. I would like to bring some back for us to use in our Bethlehem Star presentation that we have at Christmas at our church. He says to me "Don't worry, I will give you a good price you tell me how many you need and we will make a deal...money isn't everything when we're friends." So I have no idea but I will buy some and see what 'a good deal' is and then get more if indeed it is a good deal. Glenda

2 comments:

  1. talked to shelley last night. she told me about this blog. i didn't know you were doing this but i'm glad you are and i'm glad shelley told me about it. Haven't really read any of the entries yet, just quickly browsed the pic's so i'm gonna do that now. Glad to see everything's going ok. Love you guys! Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...can't wait to hear all about the party!

    ReplyDelete