Sunday, December 16, 2012

Hi everyone! 
Here are a few new pictures of our time here in Jerusalem.  It is hard to believe that we have less than 3 weeks left here.
The first picture is our favorite falafel and shawarma place, although we haven't eaten there for a couple weeks now.  We've got to get at least one more before we leave.

And right across from Moshiko's is this great ice cream place. 

 

An outside candy store right down the street from the garden.  It is mostly chocolate bars, some North American varieties.  The problem is very seldom see anyone buying so have no idea how long some of the bars have been sitting there.

 

Ladies selling their herbs inside Damascus Gate of the old city.


A couple more pictures of a Christmas Store inside the old city.  I was in there the other day and it was packed with locals buying Christmas decorations. 



Some fresh picked peppers!


And a bin full of mandarin oranges!


A young boy with this heavy loaded card going down the road outside the garden towards Damascus gate and into the old city.
The other day I saw a man walking with a mattress on his back.  I have to remember to take my camera with me every where I go.


Here are a couple of pictures taken inside the garden
 

 


Selling dates within the old city.


It doesn't seem like Christmas is only 9 days away.  The weather is still quite nice, although it has become cooler the last couple of days.  We are seeing some Christmas decorations up around the Christian quarter in the old city, but with no Christmas music and no snow it just doesn't seem like Christmas is so close.  So the other day I decided to so some Christmas baking.  As usual it is a little challenging as not everything that we need is available here, but with some scouting around to a few different stores I found what I needed.  Here is a little sample of what I made.  The other volunteers and staff are always happy to help us eat it!


I have more pictures to post but will leave it at that for now.  This past week has been Hanukkah so I hope to post some of those pictures.
Hope you are all ready for Christmas and enjoying spending time with friends and family.

Shalom.

1 comment:

  1. We are missing your baking back at home. I tried making some of the favorite Christmas squares and they just dont turn out as good :)

    ~Shelley

    ReplyDelete